Protecting Your Child’s Best Interests
At the Law Offices of Jason M. Donnell, LLC, our attorney understands the importance of prioritizing your child’s well-being while ensuring that your rights as a parent are upheld. He is committed to helping you navigate child custody matters with empathy and experience.
Understanding Child Custody
Child custody can be a complex and emotionally charged aspect of divorce or separation. It involves determining where your child will live and who will make decisions on their behalf. There are two main types of child custody:
- Legal custody: Legal custody refers to the authority to make important decisions for the child, such as those related to education, health care and religious upbringing. Depending on the court’s decision, parents may share joint legal custody or one might have sole legal custody.
- Physical custody: Physical custody determines where the child will reside and how time will be divided between the parents. It can range from sole physical custody with one parent to joint physical custody, where the child spends significant time with both parents.
It is essential to understand the differences so that you can establish your custody and family law goals and consider the responsibilities that come with each type.
Factors Affecting Child Custody Decisions
The court considers several factors when making child custody decisions, all with the primary goal of ensuring the child’s best interests. These include the following:
- The wishes of the parents and children: The court may consider the preferences of both parents as well as the child, depending on their age and maturity.
- Mental and physical health concerns: The mental and physical health of each parent and the child is crucial. The court assesses the ability of each parent to provide a stable and healthy environment.
- History of abuse or neglect: Any history of abuse or neglect by either parent can significantly impact custody decisions. The court’s priority is the safety and well-being of the child.
- Substance abuse issues: Substance abuse problems, including alcohol and drug abuse, are carefully evaluated, as they can pose a risk to the child’s safety and upbringing.
It is important to have the support of a skilled lawyer with experience in Ohio courts as you navigate this process. Our lawyer at the Law Offices of Jason M. Donnell, LLC, can help you learn more about child custody.
Guiding You Through Child Custody Matters
Our attorney is here to advocate for your rights as a parent while ensuring that your child’s best interests are at the forefront. He will work closely with you to build a compelling case that addresses all relevant factors and supports your desired custody arrangement.
Get Started – Protect Your Child’s Future
For personalized guidance and support in child custody matters, reach out to the Law Offices of Jason M. Donnell, LLC, today. Your child’s future is our lawyer’s priority. Contact us at740-653-8171 or use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation. He proudly serves clients in Lancaster and Fairfield County.